Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Placemat Pillows

Want to know an easy way to make accent pillows on the cheap?  Use placemats!

I still haven't figured out how to use my sewing machine (or even attempted to be quite honest), so these pillows are no-sew.  Perfect!

All you'll need is thick placemats of your liking, some fabri-tac, a straight edged knife, and some batting for the insides.

I bought a pack of 4 of these placemats from Marshall's for $9.99.  I wanted something blue and yellow to go on my couch, and these were perfect.*sorry about the image quality, my camera battery was dying!:
Front:

Back:

When buying placemats, make sure they're essentially two sides stitched together, like this:



Take your straight edge along the seam to pull out the stitching.


You just need to make the hole big enough to fit your hand in, you don't need to slice the whole thing in two pieces.


Shove in your batting.


Run a bead of fabri-tac alongside one edge of your seam


Push together for a few minutes and wipe off any excess glue.  And wala:  cheapo updated pillows:


And here they are in their new home:



Not a bad little update for $2.50 for each pillow!  We had actually just bought new bed pillows at Marshall's, so I washed our old pillows and then tore those opened and use the batting inside, so my total cost for this project was $10!

I'm linking up to these parties...make sure you checkout everyone else's creative creations too!  

P.S.  Sorry I've been MIA.  We're working on a few big projects, and I was out yesterday with a migraine!

25 comments:

  1. What a good idea! You could even glue on a decorative rope or tassle along the edges really easily I bet. I need to invest in some of this fabri-tac. I know how to sew but since I don't have a sewing machine and must sew everything by hand, nothing ever gets mended.
    Thanks for the distraction today too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, great idea to take the placemats apart like that. Either you're naturally destructive or very clever! They look perfect with your other pillows. I might have to start trolling the placemat aisle at my local Marshall's now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I will definitely be on the lookout for this type of placemat. I do sew, but this is so much faster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, they look great. I am definitely trying that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hopped over here from Hope Studios - Your pillows turned out great!!! I just did this project last week and LOVED how inexpensive, easy and FAST it was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Kara! You made it look so easy! It's a great idea, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is brilliant! I am bookmarking this page and I will never look at placemats the same way again. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look wonderful. I will have to try this. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pillows are adorable. I love them. I must try this. Thanks for sharing. karie @
    karieschiccreations

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I want to do some of these for my house. I didn't realize how easy these are. I will have to be on the look out for some place mats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new follower. What a clever idea!
    http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pillows. Easy and can be done on a budget. I will add this to my to do list:-)
    I am visiting you from New Friend Fridays.
    thanks for your post:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! I love that you didn't worry about sewing them shut! That's always my least favorite part!

    Thanks for linking at Lucky Star Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They turned out soo cute! I need to do some of those!! Much easier than sewing them!

    I am sooo in love with your coffee table! I have to keep telling myself "Thou shalt not covet! Thou shalt not covet!" HEE HEE! It's sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job, Kara! They look fantastic and you can't beat the price! I want to learn to sew, but am intimidated by the sewing machine...but not power tools (since I'm a big KOW fan)! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. they are beautiful I(and so is your coffee table btw)....

    great tutorial, so I'm extending you an invite:
    come link your tutorial up with us so our readers can find you:
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-7/
    (for your future creativity: new party = every wednesday, findable from the home page)

    we love to feature you,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute - I'm going to try these ! AC Moore had the cutest quilted placemats on sale this week...hmmmmm.......

    thanks for sharing!!!!!

    gena
    www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I might have to try it. Love your coffee table by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, these are just beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Have a good evening!
    Leticia
    www.msbinglesvintagechristmas.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the compliments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Either you're naturally destructive or very clever! "

    Agreed! Nice idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, we would like to possibly feature your project in the Beacon Adhesives Trade Show Booth at this upcoming 2011 CHA Show. Please call me - John Burns @ 800-865-7238 X307

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your pillows! What an inexpensive way to make such a lovely change!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you saw? Have a question? Got a suggestion? Leave me some comment lovin!

Related Posts with Thumbnails