Monday, April 26, 2010

Bench

I wanted this:
I did not want to pay $399 + $40 shipping + $35 for each basket I wanted to go in the cubbie holes + $75 for the bench cushion I wanted to go on the top of it + tax. Ridiculous.

But I really wanted the bench.

So Chris, being the wonderful husband he is, got it for me for my birthday. Even as a gift, I knew what it cost, and it was still ridiculous for a BENCH!

I started searching craigslist and Ebay for a used bench. I came across this instead. Ana at Knock-Off Wood is my new idol. I'm not kidding.

She comes up with the plans to make the same EXACT furniture you see at Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware, amongst others, and posts step by step instructions on how to build your piece of furniture. She's amazing.

I went out and bought all of the wood for $50. Yes, $50. On our way home from playing volleyball at the beach 2 weeks ago, I asked Chris if we could return my PB Bench and get me a nail gun ($100) instead for my birthday. His response: A nail gun, seriously? Yep babe, a nail gun. Just humor me. He did.

I was brought up to believe that I can do anything I put my mind to. My mind probably comes up with more projects and ideas than the rest of my siblings, but nonetheless, I have a hard work ethic with these DIY projects, lots of determination, and am very stubborn. Sometimes, Chris thinks my mind is wacky, but for the most part he goes along with it all.

Nail gun in hand, I got to work. All.by.myself. I started with 1x4's, 1 x12's, and plywood. Added in some stain, and this was what my creation looked like in the garage:



Staining and polyurethane-ing took longer than actually building the bench. After I sanded, re-stained, made some mistakes, polyurethaned, resanded, and put some more polyurethane on again, the bench was ready to be moved inside.



Next up, I needed a cushion. I am not crafty at all. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, and I certaintly can't sew. Luckily for me, they make fabri-tac. I went back to Jo-Ann's and bought my fabric for the cushion, and a huge piece of foam. After I measured and cut the foam, and measured the fabric, I got to work and came up with this:



*Disclaimer: Chris actually DID help with the cushion during one of his study breaks. My bull in a china closet self was a little nervous to make cuts and glue fabric solo.

And then I went and bought 3 baskets from Michaels to put in the cubbie holes. Chris picked out the middle one...he said it's a reminder to me to do it every now and again. With the 3 baskets and my cushion, here's what it looks like:





Here's what it looks like from the kitchen. I wanted it for that nook under the window, and I think it fits it perfectly. I chose the fabric I did to bring a little bit of femininity to our straight lined living room theme.



This is my big project I've been working to complete over the past week and a half ~ 2 weeks. I'm so proud of myself. I really don't give myself too many pats on the back, but every time I walk into the kitchen, I smile at my bench. Yes, MY bench. I made it. Is it perfect? No. It is perfectly imperfect, just like the rest of my life, which is the way I like it.

Total Cost? $50 for the wood, $15 for stain and polyurethane, $5 for the fabric, $15 for the foam, and $45 for all 3 baskets. Even if you add in the price of the nail gun, I'm still at under HALF of what the bench ALONE would've cost me to buy. My bench is better. It definitely doesn't look better, but I made it. That makes it better.

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Happy Monday!  I'm linking up to these fun parties...go check them out!
  

30 comments:

  1. Awesome baby! Good job! I am soooo impressed! Love you! mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Did you end up going with the big foam? It looks great and you know how I'm a huge fan of making things. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too Mom! Thanks!

    Thanks Erin! I actually took back the big foam and got a 2" one that wasn't dense (the other was high density 3" foam). It fits much better than the other one would've, but the other one would've felt nicer to sit on! When I took it back, I bought the fabri-tac too instead of staple gunning it to a piece of plywood. I didn't want the staples to ruin the top of my bench!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one and only ... DadApril 27, 2010 at 8:19 AM

    Wow!!!

    ...

    Holy cow!!!

    ...

    I'm absolutely amazed!!!

    ...

    ...

    ...

    You actually paid $45 for 3 friggin' baskets?!?

    ...

    YIKES!!!

    ...

    :)

    Just teasing. That looks absolutely incredible. Big round of applause for a job well done.

    ...

    Perhaps down the road you could take up basket weaving and save even more money. Didn't you take a basket weaving class at UF. I thought that was a required subject for EE students up there!

    ...

    Or maybe that was at FSU. They do tend to produce more rounded students up there.

    But that's probably because of all the fried mullet they eat.

    :)

    Love ya. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. super, stinking CUTE!! You are a great dad!!

      Delete
  5. Um, thanks Dad?? You're such a butthead!!! I love that you picked up on the ONE part that I didn't make myself!! NO WAY am I basket weaving. Fake sewing a cushion is about as crafty as this gal is gettin!

    ...

    Thanks for your silly way of complementing my bench :-)...love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chip off the Ole Block! Girl Power! You are doing very creative work and Dad and I are very proud of you!
    Love Always, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, girl! You rawk! I just found Ana, too, recently and I'm shocked at what I can do! I never would have thought that I would have an interest in woodworking...but here I am, on my third project already! I am doing it with my hubby though, so not completely on my own like you did. It's a fun little hobby for us both to enjoy together! You certainly did a wonderful job on your bench! It looks great and you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on the bench. Your brave to handle a nail gun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a terrific job in making that bench. It turn out better than the original one, with special touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing job! I love that you asked for a nail gun! Your "can-do" spirit and your trusty new nail gun are match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm visiting from Somewhat Simple. I'd love it if you'd stop by and link up to my Home and Family Friday Linky Party. I host each Friday. Hope you'll come join us!

    Becca
    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very very cool! You did a great job. Isn't Ana the best?! I have several of her projects bookmarked for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone!! A nailgun isn't as scary as it sounds...I actually love mine!!

    Thanks for the invite Becca! Sorry I missed this past Friday, perhaps the next!

    I do love Ana...I think I've got a few years worth of her projects stocked up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are just a project machine! Thanks for sharing your successes on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so impressed! You did a great job on the bench. I especially like the yellow baskets--so unexpected, yet perfect for your decor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this is really nice. I am going to go Craislist hunting now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. C-O-N-G-R-A-T-S! Great job! I've been eyeing these benches up online for months figuring out how to justify the cost. BUT now I dont have to! Thanks so much for sharing, you did an amazing job! Now I'll have to add this to my to do list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! That is so awesome! I LOVE that bench! I have been looking at benches lately...and I have been liking that style. Benches are so ridiculously expensive. Its great that you were able to make yourself one!! Go You!
    I Saw this on the CSI Project =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty darn impressive if I do say so myself. Looks great in your room. Don't you just love being able to say that part... "I made it myself."

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE IT!!! Maybe one day I can be like you. . .:) Brave to try new things, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful job on the bench and the daybeds!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job!! I'm your newest follower and I want you to come help me out...=)
    But would settle for having you follow me and checking out my progress. I love suggestions, tips and I actually listen! =)
    www.bargaincornerdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so jealous of ur creative mind! Bravo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your bench. Great job! I've redone a couple of chairs, a table and a stool I got for great prices. Stop by and visit us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you remember what color stain you used for this? I really like the finish...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sorry, I don't! We're actually in the process of cleaning out our garage, so I hoped I would find it in there, but I think I used all of it up. It was something similar to hickory though. Sorry again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Kara, I found your blog through Ana White's website. I am making this bench as well, and am new to woodworking so was wondering what kind of nail gun you bought? Are you happy with it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Like what you saw? Have a question? Got a suggestion? Leave me some comment lovin!

Related Posts with Thumbnails