First, let me explain why, for me, this is the worst project in the entire world.
1. I hate to tape. I don't even tape walls when I paint them because I make more of a mess and it takes more time.
2. I hate to paint. I love the way fresh paint looks, but I hate the act of actually doing it.
3. I have zero patience when it comes to projects. I can do things that are tedious and take a lot of time, but I do not have patience when it comes to being meticulous.
As most of my projects / ideas start off, I saw something from RH that I wanted, and decided to try to replicate it.
Image courtesy of Restoration Hardware
I started with 2 blank canvases from Jo-Ann's that I got for 40% off.
I wanted to create a framed look. I measured 1/2" around the canvas and marked it with a pencil, and then applied tape to my marks.
I painted all of the white area with a few coats of black. Yep, I got some paint on my toes...again.
I was really really excited at this point. Minus a little bit of leak over, the frame part I was trying to create came out perfectly!
And then things started to go downhill. I couldn't find stencils that were the right size, so I gave up looking. I tried to print out and trace letters, and even with that, I couldn't figure out anything that would work size wise. So I improvised and made my own sized letters by taping the area I wanted to leave black. What a freaking pain. This took FOR.EVER.
I then painted all of the non taped letters white. I had to go over it a million times with white to get it to cover the black. Again, not the smartest.
This looked like an eye chart when I was done with it. I still had to shape out the 6th and 8th street from the original picture shown, which took even longer than doing the big letters did. I messed up quite a bit and kept removing and reshaping the tape, so when I was done, my white paint had leaked underneath my not-so-well sealed tape.
I touched the picture up with black paint and hung it on the wall.
Obviously, I had two pallet shelves that I made, so there's another subway art sign that I created. That post will be Part Two. I think the way I created this one was the hardest and dumbest way to do this (wow...all in one!). I did use a different approach to the second subway art sign. Stay tuned for part two to see the entire updated living room.